MisCon 33 Code of Conduct
All members, attendees, guests, professionals, artists, game masters, merchants, security, and staff are expected to abide by these rules at all times during the convention on the convention premises.
MisCon Convention Membership Rules
DO NOT HARASS PEOPLE!
MisCon is dedicated to providing a harassment-free environment for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, capability, physical appearance, body type, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of MisCon participants in any form.
- Harassment includes:
- Offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or sexual images in public spaces.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording.
- The sustained disruption of MisCon or other events, uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical contact or attention.
- Creating an unpleasant or hostile situation especially by annoying or bothering someone in a persistent or repeated way.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If they don't, they will be ejected fromMisCon.
Cosplay is not Consent: people in costumes are not asking for unwanted attention. They are people, not the character they portray. Please treat with them with the same respect you'd give any other attendee.
If you are being harassed or have other concerns, please contact a member of the convention staff or hotel staff and ask to be put in touch with Justin Barba (MisCon Chair), Becky Harouz (MisCon Vice Chair), or Henry Edwards (MisCon Security Director).
- General policies:
- All persons on the hotel grounds must either be paying hotel guests or convention attendees.
- All convention attendees must display a MisCon badge at all times.
- An adult must accompany children under age 12 at all times, including during Kids' activities.
- Please obey local, state, and federal laws as well as hotel policies.
- Do not touch or photograph any artwork.
- The pool, hot tub, sauna, and workout rooms are only available to guests of the hotel during posted hours of operation.
- Obtain permission from the MisCon Info Table prior to posting signs at the convention and register room parties with Security.
- Be kind to the venue. MisCon wants to return for years to come.
- You can use an airsoft gun, a real sword, or other real weapon as a costume prop. Airsoft guns must be empty of ammunition.
- You CANNOT use a real firing firearm as a costume prop.
- No exposed weapons (all weapons must be sheathed and peace-bonded).
- Do not swing or wave around any weapon or prop weapon (or anything else).
- Do not hit anyone with your weapon or prop weapon (or anything else).
- If your costume includes a real OR prop weapon, report to MisCon Staff at various locations, including the Registration Table, Info Table, or any Security member around the convention.
- MisCon Security will peace bond your weapon/prop weapon by banding it with a zip tie. This zip tie will not prevent you from violating our weapon policy, but it indicates to MisCon Staff that Security has gone over the weapon policy with you.
- Costume Rules
- If your costume includes makeup or hair dye, please be considerate of the convention hotel and do not cause unnecessary cleanup in hotel rooms and bathrooms. Clean up after yourself.
- Clothing that exposes private body areas including nipples, groin, and buttocks is not allowed. This applies to everyone with no exceptions.
- Anyone not meeting these expectations will be required to change their clothes prior to returning to the convention.
- Outside Food and Alcohol
- Alcohol purchased at the Holiday Inn is allowed in public spaces after 5pm, as long as it does not disrupt the convention.
- No outside food or alcohol is allowed in meeting or public spaces.
- Alcohol in private rooms must stay in private rooms. The hotel will eject anyone who violates this policy.
- Smoking is not allowed indoors by Montana state law.
- There are clearly marked designated smoking areas for your convenience.
- Lost & Found
- Report or turn in lost items to the hotel front desk.
- MisCon is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Questions & Information
- Stop by the Information Table in the middle of the Atrium or direct questions to MisCon staff.