MisCon 33 Volunteers
MisCon, like any convention or event, needs volunteers to help the convention run smoothly. MisCon uses volunteers in many capacities, from the Convention Committee, or ConCom who meet year 'round to put the convention together, to the volunteers who help register excited con-goers.
How Can I Help?
As in the past, MisCon is looking for a few good volunteers to help us at MisCon 33. When you sign up by filling out the Volunteer Application let us know in which areas you would prefer to work and we will do our best to match your needs with that of the convention. Below are MisCon's Departments. These are only a few of the ways you could help as a volunteer at MisCon 33:
- Art needs volunteers to assist with the set up, break down and monitoring of the Art Show, as well as preparation for and modeling during the Art Auction.
- There are hundreds of possible errands that will need to be run throughout the convention. These could be anything from hauling books to assisting with supply runs. There is always something to do.
- If you are interested in hosting a game at MisCon this upcoming year, please fill out the application.
- Gaming doesn't only need people to run the games, but also to assist in the behind the scenes activities including hanging signs, giving directions, notating schedule changes as well as keeping track of time for GMs and Gamers.
- Game Days
- MisCon's quarterly Game Days are a great opportunity to volunteer throughout the year. Volunteer hours logged during Game Days count towards MisCon hours and earns Cthulhu Cash, which can be redeemed during MisCon convention and used in the Merchant's Room, Art Show and Auction, or to pay for Registration.
- Many merchants require assistance with the transportation of their wares throughout the duration of the convention. Volunteers can also help staff the MisCon Merchant table! This is a great way to meet people and to scout out potential purchases!
- Registration needs volunteers to help check in Con-goers. This could entail entering data into our Registration computers, sorting Pre-Registered Guests' purchases and distributing them, helping to assemble badges, and keeping registration lines orderly. This all helps Registration to run smoothly so that all Con-goers can be registered efficiently and enable them to enjoy the Convention!
- Video and Film Festival
- Volunteers at MisCon can help out at the Film Festival. The Film Festival director needs assistance during the Festival in a number of ways. This includes distributing and collecting ballots, presenting awards, seating, and showing videos. You can help out at the Film Festival if you sign up to volunteer!
- If you've been to MisCon - or any other convention - you've seen the decorations, informational signs, etc. that go up to convert an ordinary hotel into THE Convention. Thursday setup involves many different activities including assembling Swag Bags, putting up decorations and posters, setting up panel rooms, and unloading MisCon supplies. If the first day of the convention isn't soon enough for you and you want to know what happens behind the scenes in preparation, Thursday Setup may be for you!
- Tear-Down and Cleanup
- What goes up, must come down. Not only is it a law of physics, it's a law of conventions. If you volunteer to help out and stay after the convention to help with some of the cleanup, it will be appreciated and it can even earn you benefits towards the next year of MisCon.
- MisCon needs a security team to protect the convention from liability, and to help keep everyone safe and secure. Security personnel do a lot for the convention including assist Con-goers, safety-bond weapons, and keep room parties safe. Volunteers can help out as Security personnel and supplement our fantastic Security staff! Security personnel must act with professionalism and must be reliable and trustworthy. If you are interested in being a part of the security team at MisCon this upcoming year, please e-mail the security director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Operations, or "Ops," needs help from volunteers for a variety of tasks. These include errands for setup and tear-down throughout the convention (as described above), setting up rooms for panels, setting out chairs, maintaining the Green Room for Special Guests, special assistance for Guests of Honor, and decorating for the annual dance.
- MisCon involves a variety of tasks. There are so
many things that we can't list them all here. If you want to help out
with something in particular that isn't listed let us know in your volunteer application and we
will do our best to accommodate you.
Many volunteer shifts become available and need to be filled throughout the convention. If you are unsure how to help out or if you will be available to work, be sure to check the Available Shifts Board at the Volunteer/Info Table each day where shift updates are posted.
- If you're really excited about MisCon and really want to help, you can join ConCom and help throughout the year. This can be a lot of work and is not for the faint of heart, but the reward of putting on a good convention every May is worth it! (And you get to wear a cool, limited edition, "staff" t-shirt at MisCon.)
When you sign up by filling out the Volunteer Application let us know in which areas you would prefer to work and we will do our best to help match your needs with that of the convention.
At MisCon we appreciate our volunteers and strive to compensate them for their efforts. To learn more visit the Volunteer Compensation/Expectations/Protocols Page.