MISCON MINUTES FOR BI-WEEKLY MEETING
07/18/07 6:10 P.M. Ė 7:15 P.M.
AT RUBYíS RESERVE STREET INN (Fireside)
BY: SECRETARY Ė JOE TAYLOR
Bob Norton (acting Chair), Joe Taylor (acting secretary).
Discussed Joeís Brainstorm list from MisCon 21.
- Video. In recent ConCom meetings it had been suggested that rather than having a Video Room we leave the TV where it is and show Videos at the Fireside.
- Not renting some rooms on Monday. We would not save much on the Boardroom, and we have readings on Monday.
- Garbage. The con should consider getting some large garbage cans. They do not cost that much.
- Water. We need to get the hotel to keep the water in all of the rooms full.
- LAN. Bob went by the LAN Room several times and didnít see much interest.
- Big Totes for MisCon items. Easier storage.
- Room Dividers Needed for LARP and possibly for a LARP dungeon next year.
- Printer. These notes were from joe to self about a printer he should get for gaming next year.
- Art Show/Merchants badge. We need to find out if there were any request for limited access this year.
- Game Fair. We still need flyers. Joe asked Bob to make some.
- Gaming. Having an online schedule similar to programingís for gaming would be nice for next year.
- Memberships for help at Art, Hospitality and Registration, as well as Gaming. Joe was going to buy memberships for GMís throughout the year. He also planned to buy some memberships for Art, Hospitality and Registration to give away to volunteers who worked eight hours for those departments.
- Memberships. Joe needed the membership info for members 34 and 94 because he has their minis from the Miniature Painting Contest.
We would need the hotels ok to do this.
A few videos might get too much interest and block access.
We could move the TV to Large Programming for these videos. Only the hotel can move the TV.
We could get a projector for the computer and use the screen in Large Programming for these videos.
The overflow gaming rooms are only a convenience on Monday. As sleeping rooms the hotel could use them back.
Two cans each for Gaming and Large Programming at least.
Joe can get large trash bags. Ace carries some nice ones.
We should have volunteers empty the cans (change the bags) several times a day.
Joe didnít even find the room until it was closing up early Sunday.
If they have a LAN room next year Joe needs to find out the room number so we can get the room on the con map. This may draw more interest.
MMOís have made LANís less unique. Computers are hard to move and easy for unauthorized users to damage. We might consider asking people to bring in consoles (X-Boxes, PSís, etc.) next year.
Clear totes so we can more readily see whatís inside?
The current ones were awkward and didnít work that well in the main gaming room.
We have had noise complaints in the past in the large gaming rooms, but people got along ok this year.
Joe was thinking of boards more like those in the Art Room.
Bob suggested looking into eggshell foam. Itís light and should dampen noise well.
Bob suggested the con needs a good computer for Registration and to keep in the ConCom suite for use by the con.
A good computer would print faster speeding up Registration.
Joe thought we should do Registrations like RadConís. They used allot of paper, but had everything on one page and Registration wasnít deadlocked waiting for several memberships before printing them off.
Bob didnít like the idea of cutting the badges out. Joe though RadCon had purchased pre-perforated paper.
Bob pointed out that a good printer could be set for smaller paper sizes (envelopes, etc) allowing for less waste.
We could use the same badges security uses for late night registrations. People could not wander around without drawing the attention of security (something they are already trained to watch for).
Bob suggested adding the flyer info to the inspirational posters we had at the con.
Joe informed him he could find these posters at rpgmotivational.
We are still having our Game Fair on Sept 8. We donít want to conflict with Helenaís Game Faire in Oct.
When is SpoCon going to do itís game fair? Could not find it on their web site.
The parking passes are to allow our people to move through the paid parking areas to the free parking by the Mansfield Library. They are not guaranteed parking.
We are getting both rooms again for the Game Fair. We need to pay for these rooms.
We do not need a separate Game Fair page for the web site. We can just use Gaming.
Some pre-registered games for the Game Fair would be nice, but it is open gaming ATT.
Tickets. We are going to try giving tickets to game fair guests who can show they have a membership to MisCon, RadCon, the Helena Game Faire or SpoCon (up to four tickets). These tickets will allow one re-roll in a Game Fair game. This will hopefully promote regional cons. If it works we may try to get the other cons to do the same.
RadCon has a program, Coyote, for doing online gaming registration. Joe needs to contact them.
Bob asked if Gaming did not already have compted memberships. Joe said we did comp in three people, but could not afford to do all the GMís.
Bob suggested we sell these memberships for base cost.
Bob pointed out that Hospitality was working on getting separate volunteers for MisCon 22. Joe new this but wanted a system to help these departments long term. We are having great difficulty keeping chairs for Art, Hospitality and Registration. They are tied down to their areas of responsibility and do not get time to enjoy the con.
Bob was concerned that we might be undermining the Cthulhu Cash system we already have in place.
Bob suggested we remove the upper limit we have on Cthulhu cash.
Joe also wanted to get separate badges for GMís. Recognition is often more important than money.
These badges would be separate from the MisCon badges. Joe needs to get someone to draw them. These badges were used in the past.
The ribbons we used in the past we to designate gamers, not GMís.
Bob found the info for 34.
We still need 94.