MISCON MINUTES FOR BI-WEEKLY MEETING
11/05/08 7:00 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.
AT RUBY’S RESERVE STREET INN (THE BOARDROOM)
BY: SECRETARY – MICHELLE BRUMLEY-BROMLEY
Bob, James, Lisa, Sherrill, Stewart, Bob, John, Michelle, and guest Bill Singleterry, Reid, Forrest, Will
Bill Singleterry will be the DJ at our Dark Dreams dance for MisCon 23! Get a card to congratulate John Kovalic for his new fatherhood.
- Meeting was called to order @ 7:00 p.m. by Bob Lovely.
- Minutes were accepted as written by all in attendance.
- CONCHAIR: Everyone was asked who picked up trash and a form was passed around to sign; the "Montana Department of Transportation, Adopt a Highway, Group Safety Meeting". A suggestion from Damon for everyone to attend a Halloween party next year, as MisCon - possibly co-sponsor the Dark Dreams / Club Q dance.
- ART: Working on records for artists database, with existing and new artists information. Contacted artists Sarah Zebinden and Stephen Youll for MisCon 23. Forrest will contact Sara Clemens to be our Art Guest. Sherrill will bring 15 purple paper plates, Michelle will provide a silver sharpie and we will find sticks to make paddles for the Art Auction.
- MERCHANTS: Reid is present and now capable of checking email. He has handwritten material that needs to be converted to letters to approach merchants. Preferably, letters to Merchants should be sent by January 2nd. We will take up to 2 merchants of any given type, preference always goes to the local merchant, unless we have an agreement with a specific out-of-town merchants.
- GAMING: Game Fair vs. Game Day - everyone discussed the name change, and it was decided "Game Day" helps limit confusion about multiple day events. There was much debate over what a season consists of. This Saturday - 9am to 10pm - November 8th, at the UC Center in rooms 330 and 331. Sherrill will provide snacks and refreshments if Joe is still sick. Michelle will do a panel on "Game Master Girls - The Endangered Species."
- WRITER’S WORKSHOP: Not present. Justin and Cat have been interacting with schools for the workshop. Dianna Pharaoh Francis may not be able to attend as a critiquing author. Our critiquing authors currently include: Dianna Pharaoh Francis, Jim Glass, Patty Briggs, Mary Jane Engh, Vicki Mitchell, and Debie Fredericks.
- TREASURER: A reminder to turn in budgets to Treasurer. John has a form 1023 that was filled out the previous time it was attempted. We discussed purchasing QuickBooks for MisCon. Sherrill will research "stamps.com" to see if it is cost efficient.
- VIDEO: Dan Len is Jame's Vice Chair. Bob and James discussed that all video related stuff should be kept to the Video Room, not in the Programming room. A "Bonus Materials" panel was suggested by Bob Norton, to show "The Making Of.." etc to show extra features of show and movies. Such as "The Making Of The Lord Of The Rings," has a lot of special features that are also informative. "Script Writing," was recommended by James. "Acting for Film," was suggested by Forrest. A "mystery special guest" special panel was also suggested by James. James asked about Fund Raising on behalf of MisCon; Bob will email ConCom the information. Will arrives.
- SECURITY: Not present.
- REGISTRATION: Lisa found new badge holders in the "4imprint" magazine, passed around samples, and they are $1.89 if we purchase at least 250. Registration would pay for itself and provide $300 profit. Bob was very pleased with the badge holders. We would need to place our order in January 2009. The only downside would be the MisCon logo would be entirely in green, no multicolored options would be available. "The Warehouse" is where a company called "Exact Image," is located; they create our lanyards. We may be able to do our logo in full color. MisCon Registration is now affiliated with RadCon as their official Registration team.
- HOSPITALITY: Will be providing food for the Game Day. There are still many condiments left over. Sherrill has an inventory of all Hospitality items.
- PROGRAMMING: Bob sent out a recent schedule via email. A discussion was held to about how to schedule and advertise the Dark Dreams dance. The Joker's Wild portion of the Programming Book will be removed as Gaming generally creates their own schedules.
- PROGRAM BOOK: Please submit your Program Book descriptions!!
- WEB: Writer's Workshop was updated, Shaun will be adding captions to the photos in the photo gallery.
- VOLUNTEERS: Bill Singleterry volunteered to the Convention to help anywhere he could. Forrest's sister, Mirah Leder, will also volunteer next year and will submit a form. Will is working on a volunteer schedule with a full list of volunteers. Naomi Parrish has also volunteered.
- OPS: Not present. All departments need to make Operations aware of schedule changes.
- PUBLIC RELATIONS/MARKETING: James has a lot of material to create and will work on it this weekend. A flyer for the Artist's Workshop. James will need to contact stores who can give us movie swag.
- COSTUME PAGEANT: Not present.