MisCon 26 Writers' Workshop
Join us at this year's MisCon Writers' Workshop! Send us a piece of your writing, following our guidelines, and we will forward it to a group of professional fantasy and science fiction writers. Then come to MisCon 26 and have your stuff critiqued. It's an excellent opportunity to have your work read and analyzed by pros who know how the business works (as well as how to put words together).
Your manuscript can be a short story, the beginning of a novel, or an unfinished story fragment, as long as it fits the 4,000 word limit. If you follow our submission guidelines, this means 16 pages or less. Please follow our guidelines closely, as this is great practice for submitting to agents and editors.
Note: participation may be limited this year due to high demand, so the MisCon 26 workshop will likely be a first-come-first-served sort of event.
Manuscript submissions must be received on or before April 11, 2012.
What to do:
- Prepare a manuscript of no more than 4,000 words according to our guidelines.
- Send us a quick email at email@example.com stating that you have submitted to the workshop. Make sure to include your contact information as well as a digital copy of your submission in .rtf format. We want a digital copy of your manuscript only to make it easier to print the anthology. We will either return the digital copy to you or destroy it after the anthology is printed (whatever you wish). You can also send us a digital copy on disc with your submission packet if you like. If you don't want to send such a thing in any form, let us know and we will exclude your submission from the anthology (you will still participate in the workshop, of course).
- Assemble a submission packet including $15 to cover our postage and 3 copies of your manuscript, each with a cover letter addressed to 'Critiquing Author.' Also include a hard disk copy of your manuscript if you chose not to email it. If your submission is a novel excerpt, you may include a brief synopsis of the story as well.
- Mail your submission packet to:
PO Box 7721
Missoula, MT 59807
(It is also a good idea to complete a registration form and pre-register at this time).
- Attend MisCon and participate in the Writers' Workshop on Saturday, May 26, 2012 from 11:00am to 2:00pm.
Additional Writers' Workshop Events:
From 5:00pm to 6:00pm on Friday, May 25, the first day of MisCon, we will have an Orientation/Writers' Workshop Meet and Greet. This optional event is open to anyone interested in writing or the workshop, and will outline how the process works, as well as introduce MisCon's aspiring writers to each other and the critiquing authors.
On Sunday, May 27, the day after the Workshop, we will have a 1-hour wrap-up panel without the critiquing authors. During this time, participating writers can critique each others' work and discuss the comments made by the professionals.
I also recommend pre-registering for both MisCon and (the workshop) some time before the convention. That way, you'll avoid the long registration line, and you'll know you're signed up for the workshop.
Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to learn more or just to chat.