MisCon 27 Attending Professional
I was born In Renton, Washington, In the shadow of Mt. Rainier. I was raised around a flight school, but when we moved to the country I had to choose between planes and horses. I chose the horses and have (almost) never regretted it. Besides horses, I enjoy art, music, dance of all kinds, travel, a variety of sports, and making furniture. Mostly I enjoy DOING as opposed to observing.
I have virtual degrees in Physics and Anthropology from Washington State University and training in computer programming, psychology, philosophy, and history. I have paid my bills with such diverse activities as lecturing on dolphins, troubleshooting computer programs, art and training horses, and I have a particular talent for cleaning stables.
How all this led to working on a Graphic Novel adaptation of C. J. Cherryh's Gate of Ivrel, I'm not quite certain. Stranger still, that career move somehow led to writing my own stories. My first novel (Groundties from Warner/Questar) came out In October, 1991. The sequel, Uplink, was released in March, 1992 and the third, Harmonies of the 'Net, in October, 1992.
More recently, I have written the Dance of The Rings series (Ring of Lightning, released in June, 1995, Ring of Intrigue, released in January, 1997, and Ring of Destiny, released in December, 1999). My prequel to the to the Groundties series is at my agent, along with the "extended versions" of those three books. I'm currently working on the next "Ring" book, which might best be described as "Tesla meets Godzilla". I've got a few short stories out, including on in the upcoming Thieve's World anthology.
I'm fascinated with things technological for what they can do, but mostly for how they do it and the effects on people of what they do. Although my current Interests are In Virtual Reality and Science Education, mostly I'm a gestaltist.
I'm also fascinated by what makes things tick—things from computers to people to galaxies—I think the Native American philosophies are a good beginning, and Biosphere 2 a welcome western extrapolation. In the twenty-first century, I look for humanity to extend that working model to
Web site: http://www.janefancher.com/
Scheduled Panels and Presentations:
- Fri 8:00 - 8:50 PM, Authors, Readers, and Social Media, Upstairs Programming 1 (259)
- Break Fri 8:50 - Sat 1:00
- Sat 1:00 - 1:50 PM, Reading: Jane Fancher, Upstairs Programming 3 (261)
- Break Sat 1:50 - Sat 6:00
- Sat 6:00 - 6:50 PM, Ebooks: The Other Side of Publishing, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Sat 7:00 - 7:50 PM, For Your Own Good, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Sat 7:50 - Sun Noon
- Sun Noon - 12:50 PM, Writing the Opposite Gender, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Break Sun 12:50 - Sun 3:00
- Sun 3:00 - 3:50 PM, Ancestral DNA, Upstairs Programming 1 (259)
- Break Sun 3:50 - Mon 11:00
- Mon 11:00 - 11:50 AM, Author Book Signing, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Mon 11:00 - Noon, Author Book Signing, NO Table