MisCon 27 Guest of Honor
A professional artist since 1989, Theresa Mather creates fantasy works featuring a variety of unusual creatures. Best known for her pieces painted on feathers and stone, integrating her paintings with the natural colors and textures of the surface, Theresa draws much of her inspiration from the world around her.
"When I need inspiration, I go hiking somewhere," is what Theresa tells those who inquire. Theresa and her husband Barry Short reside in Cedar City, Utah, where the many nearby national parks – Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capital Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, and Grand Canyon - give her plenty of opportunity to find inspiration.
Theresa is an artist who chooses to work outside of gaming and publication, exhibiting and selling her work at science fiction convention art shows across the country. She enjoys the freedom this gives her to paint whatever she desires, allowing her paintings to be truly her creations. She was active in the field of antique carousel restoration from 1989 through 1999, painting suites of large scale paintings for the crestings of 5 antique carousels and decorative paintwork for a sixth.
While Theresa does have some formal art training, she suggests that those curious about this aspect of her background simply rent and watch the movie Art School Confidential, which parallels her experience quite well. She's learned that when it comes to creating art, classrooms are no substitute for simply doing the work.
Theresa exhibits at over 70 shows each year and is the recipient of numerous awards, including Popular Choice Best of Show at ConJose, the 2002 Worldcon.
Web site: http://www.rockfeatherscissors.com/
Scheduled Panels and Presentations:
- Fri 3:00 - 3:50 PM, Meet the Artists, Fireside
- Fri 4:00 - 4:50 PM, Light, Shading, and Perspective, Upstairs Programming 2 (260)
- Break Fri 4:50 - Fri 7:00
- Fri 7:00 - 7:50 PM, Opening Ceremonies, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Fri 7:50 - Sat 10:00
- Sat 10:00 - 10:50 AM, The Art of Theresa Mather, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Sat 10:50 - Sat 2:00
- Sat 2:00 - 4:50 PM, Artists' Corner, Fireside
- Break Sat 4:50 - Sat 7:00
- Sat 7:00 - 7:50 PM, Background Art, Upstairs Programming 2 (260)
- Break Sat 7:50 - Sun 10:00
- Sun 10:00 - 10:50 AM, Oddball Mediums in Art, Upstairs Programming 2 (260)
- Break Sun 10:50 - Sun Noon
- Sun Noon - 12:50 PM, Visual Clutter in Art, Upstairs Programming 1 (259)
- Sun 1:00 - 1:50 PM, Tour the Art Show!, Hotel Lobby of Doom
- Break Sun 1:50 - Sun 3:00
- Sun 3:00 - 3:50 PM, All About Texture, The Cave (Downstairs)
- Sun 4:00 - 4:50 PM, Artist's Block, The Cave (Downstairs)
- Break Sun 4:50 - Mon 10:00
- Mon 10:00 - 10:50 AM, Amusements and Diversions in the Age of Steam, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Mon 11:00 - 11:50 AM, Finding Your Home in the Art World, Upstairs Programming 1 (259)
- Break Mon 11:50 - Mon 3:00
- Mon 3:00 - 3:50 PM, Closing Ceremonies, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Fri 7:00 - 8:00 PM, Opening Ceremonies, NO Table