MisCon 27 Attending Professional
Resident of the Pacific NW. BA in Latin in 1964, U of Okla; MA in Classics at Johns Hopkins U. in Maryland, 1965; and additional language course at OU in 1967.
Academic awards and Honors: American Classical League Scholarship 1960; Alpha Lambda Delta; Phi Beta Kappa; Woodrow Wilson Fellow 1964-5 in Classics. Guest of Honor at Bucconeer, the 1998 World Science Fiction Convention, in Baltimore, MD.
Academic specializations and areas of reasonable competency: Latin, Greek, bronze age myth as related to archaeology; field archaeology (qualified but never practiced); law of early Roman Empire; history of engineering; French (professional translator); Italian and other languages in which I can at least get a drink of water and directions to the train station; was once classroom teacher.
Informal training and areas of personal interest: human genetics, astronomy, space science and aeronautics, astrophysics, botany, geology, climatology (some of this formal education, where it crosses my archaeological studies); cosmology, anthropology; technology in general with practical and anthropological considerations.
Professional experience: teaching Latin, Greek, Ancient History; writing; semiprofessional in archaeological photography
Hobbies: travel, weaving, aquariums, dinosaurs, art.
I write full time; I travel; I try out things. The list includes, both past tense: fencing, riding, archery, firearms, ancient weapons, donkeys, elephants, camels, butterflies, frogs, wasps, turtles, bees, ants, falconry, exotic swamp plants and tropicals, wilderness survival, fishing, sailing, mechanics, carpentry, wiring, painting (canvas), painting (house), painting (interior), sculpture, needlepoint, refinishing furntiture, video games, archaeology, Roman, Greek civ, Crete, Celts, caves.
I've traveled from New York to Istanbul and Troy; outrun a dog pack, and seen Columbia lift on her first flight. I've fallen down a cave, nearly drowned, broken an arm, been kicked by horses, fended off an amorous merchant in a tent bazaar, fought fires, slept on deck in the Adriatic, and driven Picadilly Circus at rush hour. I've waded in two oceans and four of the seven seas,
Web site: http://www.cherryh.com/
Scheduled Panels and Presentations:
- Fri 8:00 - 8:50 PM, Authors, Readers, and Social Media, Upstairs Programming 1 (259)
- Break Fri 8:50 - Sat 11:00
- Sat 11:00 - 11:50 AM, Reading: C.J. Cherryh, Upstairs Programming 3 (261)
- Break Sat 11:50 - Sat 6:00
- Sat 6:00 - 6:50 PM, Ebooks: The Other Side of Publishing, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Sat 7:00 - 7:50 PM, For Your Own Good, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Sat 7:50 - Sun 11:00
- Sun 11:00 - 11:50 AM, Snarking Up Your Characters, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Sun Noon - 12:50 PM, Writing the Opposite Gender, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Break Sun 12:50 - Sun 3:00
- Sun 3:00 - 3:50 PM, Ancestral DNA, Upstairs Programming 1 (259)
- Break Sun 3:50 - Mon 11:00
- Mon 11:00 - 11:50 AM, Author Book Signing, Containment Room (Upstairs)
Authors, Readers, and Social Media (Fri 8:00), Ebooks: The Other Side of Publishing (Sat 6:00), Ancestral DNA (Sun 3:00)
- Mon 11:00 - Noon, Author Book Signing, NO Table