MisCon 28 Attending Professional
V.E. (Vicki) Mitchell has been writing for as long as she can rememberómostly, but not entirely, in the field of science fiction. In 1986, she won the national Amazing Stories Calendar Story Contest and sold a short story to a mainstream anthology. (This story was later cut when the book ran too long.) In 1987 one of her stories appeared in the legendary The Moscow Moffia Presents Rat Tales anthology. She sold a different "Rats" story to Pulphouse Publishing for their own Rat Tales anthology (1994). Her first novel, Enemy Unseen (a Star Trek novel from Pocket Books), appeared in 1990 and spent three weeks on the New York Times Bestseller list. It has also appeared in British and German versions. Her second book, Imbalance (a Star Trek: The Next Generation novel) came out from Pocket Books in June 1992. Her third Star Trek book, Windows On a Lost World, was published in June 1993, and has also appeared in an audio tape version read by Walter Koenig and in Japanese translation. All three of these books are still available in e-book versions.
Her fourth Star Trek book, Atlantis Station, was a young adult novel set in the Star Trek: The Next Generation "Academy" series; it reached the bookstores in August 1994. Her second young adult book was The Tale of the Bad-Tempered Ghost, an Are You Afraid Of The Dark? story, which appeared in September 1997. Her third young adult novel, Pool Party Panic, a The Secret World Of Alex Mack story, appeared in June 1998. Her novella "Against the Night" was published in two parts in Amazing Stories (May and June 1992), and her short story "Ekaterin" appeared in the second issue of Lesbian Short Fiction: LSF (October 1996).
Meanwhile Vicki was pursuing her education and a career in geology. She has four college degrees, including a Master's in Geology and an MBA, and is currently working on her fifth, a PhD in Environmental Science. She works as a geologist and mine historian for the Idaho Geological Survey. In October 2006 her mine histories won the Esto Perpetua Award for lifetime contributions to Idaho history.
Vicki is well known to science fiction fans, especially in the Pacific Northwest.
Web site: http://www.v-e-mitchell.com/
Scheduled Panels and Presentations:
- Fri 4:00 - 4:50 PM, Writers' Workshop Meet and Greet, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Fri 4:50 - Sat 11:00
- Sat 11:00 - 12:50 PM, Writers' Workshop Great Hall, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Break Sat 12:50 - Sat 6:00
- Sat 6:00 - 6:50 PM, Creating Conflict, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Break Sat 6:50 - Sun 10:00
- Sun 10:00 - 10:50 AM, Author Book Signing, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Sun 10:50 - Sun 6:00
- Sun 6:00 - 6:50 PM, Beating Writer's/Artist's/Creator's Block, Upstairs 4 (Upstairs Programming 4)
- Break Sun 6:50 - Mon 10:00
- Mon 10:00 - 10:50 AM, Monday Morning Coffee Klatch (Hour 1), The Tent (2)
- Mon 11:00 - 11:50 AM, Monday Morning Coffee Klatch (Hour 2), The Tent (2)
- Break Mon 11:50 - Mon 2:00
- Mon 2:00 - 2:50 PM, Transitioning Through Time: Scene vs Summary, Containment Room (Upstairs)