MisCon 28 Guest of Honor
Todd Lockwood was born in Boulder, Colorado. Lockwood received his education at the The Art Institute of Colorado, in Denver, Colorado, graduating in 1981 with the award for "portfolio par excellence," and went to work immediately in the design and advertising world. Lockwood worked for a design agency for a year and a half, and won numerous awards in the Art Directors Club of New York's annual show. He then focused his career on illustration, doing freelance illustration for about fifteen years.
In 1994, he attended Worldcon, his first science fiction convention, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, taking some of his Asimov's covers and some other work to show to artists and art directors in hopes of making contacts with people in the science fiction and fantasy publishing world. "It was a revelation! ... I met other artists and saw so much amazing work. I met Michael Whelan, who responded very favorably to the black and white work I had done, particularly Cerberus." Lockwood began illustrating cards for Chaosium and Phil Foglio's XXXenophile card game, and soon his friend David Martin suggested him to an art director at TSR, the publisher of the popular role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons. In 1997, Wizards of the Coast acquired the TSR properties and moved Lockwood and his family to Washington state. Working for Wizards, he continued to work on the D&D line and on Magic: The Gathering.
Lockwood produced art for the Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, and Dragonlance campaign settings, as well as cover art for novels based on the Forgotten Realms setting. His work is included in the book Masters of Dragonlance Art. Lockwood also became the Vice President of ASFA (the Association of Science Fiction and Fantasy Artists), which sponsored the Chesley Awards for fantasy art at the World Science Fiction Convention. In 1999, he helped to redefine the look of the Dungeons and Dragons game for the Third Edition release. In 2002, after Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast, Lockwood returned to freelancing.
He and his wife and three children reside in Washington state.
Web site: http://www.toddlockwood.com/
Scheduled Panels and Presentations:
- Fri 3:00 - 3:50 PM, Meet the Artists, Hotel Lobby of Doom (1)
- Break Fri 3:50 - Fri 6:00
- Fri 6:00 - 6:50 PM, Opening Ceremonies, The Tent (1)
- Break Fri 6:50 - Sat 11:00
- Sat 11:00 - 11:50 AM, The Art of Todd Lockwood, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Sat 11:50 - Sat 2:00
- Sat 2:00 - 4:50 PM, Artists' Corner, Hotel Lobby of Doom (1)
- Break Sat 4:50 - Sun 10:00
- Sun 10:00 - 10:50 AM, Author Book Signing, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Sun 10:50 - Sun Noon
- Sun Noon - 12:50 PM, Books: From Idea to Marketplace, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Break Sun 12:50 - Sun 2:00
- Sun 2:00 - 2:50 PM, Artist Pictionary, Containment Room (Upstairs)
- Break Sun 2:50 - Mon 10:00
- Mon 10:00 - 10:50 AM, Monday Morning Coffee Klatch (Hour 1), The Tent (1)
- Mon 11:00 - 11:50 AM, The Mad Art Orde.r, Great Hall (Upstairs)
- Break Mon 11:50 - Mon 3:00
- Mon 3:00 - 3:50 PM, Closing Ceremonies, The Tent (1)