MisCon 29 Volunteers
MisCon, like any convention or event, needs volunteers to help the convention run smoothly. MisCon uses volunteers in many capacities, from the Convention Committee, or ConCom who meet year 'round to put the convention together, to the volunteers who run the treat cart from Hospitality to the Gaming rooms to feed gamers late in the evening.
How Can I Help?
As in the past, MisCon is looking for a few good volunteers to help us at MisCon 29. Here are only a few of the areas you could help with as a volunteer at MisCon 29:
- Art needs volunteers to assist with the set up, break down and monitoring of the Art Show, as well as preparation for and modeling during the Art Auction.
- There are hundreds of possible errands that will need to be run throughout the convention; anything from hauling books to assisting with supply runs. There is always something to do. This year we will be implementing a new On-Call sign up sheet for errands, which is a great way to log in those volunteer hours!
- If you are interested in running a game at MisCon and want to get in the schedule, sign up with the Game Chair and we'll get it on the list. Game Masters, Story Tellers, Game Referees, whatever you want to call them, they're some of the most important contributors to MisCon and making the convention fun for everyone.
- Gaming doesn't only need people to run the games, but also to assist in the behind the scenes activities including hanging signs, giving directions, notating schedule changes as well as keeping track of time.
- The way to every Cthulhu's heart is through its stomach. Hospitality is always looking for enthusiastic and versatile volunteers. A volunteer could do anything from working with concessions, making trolley runs and assisting with setting up the Sunday BBQ!
- Many merchants require assistance with the transportation of their wares throughout the duration of the convention.
- Once you have been checked in, you can assist registration to continue to run smoothly so that all of our guests can be checked in efficiently and without incident so that they too may partake of all MisCon has to offer.
- Video and Film Festival
- Volunteers at MisCon can help with videos and the film festival. The video chair needs assistance with presenting awards and showing videos. You can help if you sign up to volunteer!
- If you've been to MisCon - or any other convention - you've seen the decorations, informational signs, etc. that go up to convert an ordinary hotel into THE Convention. If the first day of the convention isn't soon enough for you and you want to know what happens behind the scenes in preparation, Thursday Set Up may be for you!
- Tear-Down and Cleanup
- What goes up, must come down. Not only is it a law of physics, it's a law of decorations. If you can stay after the convention and help with some of the cleanup, volunteer to help out and it will be appreciated, it can even earn you benefits towards the next year of MisCon.
- There are so many things that have to happen to make the convention happen, that we just can't list them all here. If you've seen people helping out with something in particular, and you want to help with that let us know in your volunteer application and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- High Cultist
- To acknowledge the dedicated work of our devoted volunteers the new position of High Cultist has been created. Not for the faint of heart, a High Cultist is the most serious of the volunteers. These individuals take on more hours and responsibility. They also reap greater rewards.
- MisCon needs a security team to protect the convention from liability, and to help keep everyone safe and secure. Volunteers can help security and supplement our normal security staff as a Mook.
- Operations, or "ops," needs help from volunteers for a number of things, from the errands to setup and tear-down (described above), but MisCon operations also needs volunteers to help with things like special assistance for Guests of Honor or attending Pros, to decorating for the annual dance.
- If you're really excited about MisCon and really want to help, you can join ConCom and help throughout the year. This can be a lot of work and is not for the faint of heart, but the reward of putting on a good convention every May is worth it! (And you get to wear a cool, limited edition, "staff" t-shirt at MisCon.)
When you sign up by filling out the Volunteer Application let us know in which areas you would prefer to work and we will do our best to help match your needs with that of the convention.
We do appreciate our volunteers, and those who go above and beyond are rewarded.